Like Legacy of a Thousand Suns Community on Facebook!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stat farming guide

Time Online
    26 d 23 h 41 m

26 members found this post helpful.

Stat farming guide

Introduction

Farming is one of the most important aspects of this game. Irrespective of whether you are a monster hunter, a hardcore PvP, a casual player, or even if you have a mostly energy based build, farming should be a part of your routine.

For those who are not aware, stat farming is the act of doing several raids with the intend of getting craft components that, when turned in, gives the player additional stats. There is also AP farming, which is slightly different: the players focus on NM raids and often deal below average damage, just trying to get achievements. In this guide we will only discuss stat farming. This guide focuses on ATK and DEF farming - another option would be energy farming. This shall be added later to the guide.

This guide is intended to help you maximize your farming efficiency. From a purely theoretical point of view, optimizing your farming routine is quite simple. All you need to do is follow 4 simple rules. I decided to give each of them somewhat fancy names so it would be easier to reference them later (plus, they sound cool):

Principle of Logic: always use Better to Receive.
    Principle of Priority: if you have to waste resources on level up, waste energy.
    Principle of Efficiency: always aim for the correct damage ranges.
    Principle of Consistency: concentrate on the good raids.

So let us discuss each of these principles more thoroughly.

The Principles

1. Principle of Logic

This should be fairly obvious - if you're stat farming, you'd want BtR on all raids.

In general, it would be correct to have BtR right from the start. An early BtR has 2 advantages:

- It brings people to the raid, which translates to indirect damage.
    - It prevents the raid from dying without it.

2. Principle of Priority

Also pretty straightforward. Basically this principle tells us that whenever you have more than enough resources to level up, you should use stamina (or honor), and the resource to be wasted should be energy.

This is because energy is the least efficient resource for stat farming.

3. Principle of Efficiency

In order to be an efficient farmer, you would need to spend your stamina wisely. That means, avoid underhitting and overhitting.

There are basically two things that control the loot - time, and damage. Let's assume all farming raids end up fast. So in general terms, we could say damage determines the loot.

Generally speaking, dealing your "fair share" (ie, the HP/Max_Slots value) yields 1 epic. Sure, it's random - so sometimes you'll get 0, and sometimes 2, possibly even 3. But on average it should be 1.

The "fair share" is not the ideal amount though - if you deal more than your fair share, you'd get more epics. Many players would agree that the ideal damage would be the least amount that gives 3 epics (almost always). Shooting for 4 epics is possible, but requires way too much damage, whereas shooting for 2 epics usually requires almost the same amount of damage anyway.

Let's see some examples. From personal tests, it seems that the following damages (usually) give 3 epics on normal difficulty (for NM raids, deal twice this value):

Void Killers: 250k
    Ragebeast: 300k
    Telemachus: 400k
    Cybertollahs: 550k
    Carnus: 650k
    Carnifex: 800k
    Cruiser: 1.1m
    Rautha: 1.2m (not sure, I don't farm them much)

Dealing more than the damages shown is only bad because it means you've wasted stamina. So if you end up overhitting because of a proc, critical, or tactic, then no harm done.

Also, we're assuming here the player wants the epic components - if you're after the lower ones, it would be advisable to deal lower damage than the values above. In this particular case, overhitting can be hurtful even if it happens for free.

4. Principle of Consistency

If you want to be a consistent farmer you'd need to farm only the good raids. The definition of a good raid, however, is subjective, and it depends on your firepower, available playing time, and your goals.

In general people usually have either of 3 goals when stat farming:

a) Increase raid damage
    b) Increase your Galaxydome Power on Ranged position
    c) Increase your GD power on Healer position.

Depending on your goal your preferred raids change, as follows:

So, how can you use the lists above? First decide what your goals are, then see which raids are the best ones for you. Ideally, you would want to do only the top raid of the list - however, this is only possible at very low levels.

At higher levels, you won't be able to find enough of the right raids to completely use your stamina, so you should consider also doing the second raid on the list, and then move on to the third as needed, and so on.

Disclaimer:

The indexes for the goals A+B and A+C assumes both raid and dome are equally important. If raid is more important than dome, or vice-versa, the indexes have to be weighed a bit differently.

All the values were calculated supposing the player deals the damage recommended by the Principle of Efficiency on Normal raids and receives, on average, 3 epics per raid. It is then assumed each craft component drops with a 25% probability, which means, in particular, that Modulator Barrels and Orange Scraps are equally likely to drop.

For NM raids, I assumed all the craft drops were halved, except for the Ragebeast which didn't change.

Due to DR, the actual value may be lower depending on your LSI, but if we assume DR is applied uniformly over all raids, then all the values are lowered proportionally and the relative rankings remain the same, so it shouldn't matter.

It is also assumed that for healer dome power, 1 DEF = 5 ATK, for Ranged power, 1 ATK = 2 DEF, and for raid damage 1 ATK = 4 DEF.
    Last edited by Rafael; 21st April 2011 at 00:25.
    Note: I no longer play the game.

My projects: [Tactics Theorycraft (outdated)| Damage Calculator (not sure if outdated... seems ok)| Officer Comparison (outdated) | Farming Guide (outdated)]

Time Online
    24 d 50 m

My Platform(s)
    Facebook

Really useful info! Thanks

Just one quick question, if I want to combine stat farming with AP farming, I assume I need to double the damage because its a NM, in order to keep the epics coming consistently?

Time Online
    45 d 11 h N/A

My Platform(s)
    Facebook

hopefully this starts more normal raids lol, getting tired of seeing so many nightmare summons for farming raids. Nice guide however

Time Online
    2 d 3 h 37 m

Just a suggestion, input the figures needed for NM since it can help in the Achievements. So, you can kill three birds with one stone, namely, AP,SP,Exp.Well, you have a point, doing a normal raid would be equal to farming a NM one which would cost a lot of time, so speed wise normal raids are the way to go.And one more thing, is there any other way to compute the galaxydome power, it's a bit confusing. But, nonetheless great and informative guide, direct and simple.

Time Online
    45 d 11 h N/A

My Platform(s)
    Facebook

Nightmare raids are horrible for farming

1. it requires more damage
    2. the possible epic loot increases making it harder to collect stat items.

Time Online
    21 d 22 h 8 m

Thanks Rafael for making this! =) This should be very useful for many people new and veterans alike. I made a link for this guide in the Useful guides/faqs page I made.
    "Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure." - George Woodberry
    Link to useful guides and FAQs for Legacy of a thousand suns----> [USEFUL GUIDES/INFO and FAQs]
    Link to my guide for running a successful alliance----> [TIPS ON HOW TO RUN A SUCCESSFUL ALLIANCE]
    Warning the Ban-hammer does exist and its reach is far!

Time Online
    50 d 20 h 2 m

My Platform(s)
    Multiple

WELL DONE RAFAEL!!!!!! I KNEW YOU WERE MORE THAN JUST A NUMBERS GURU!! THANKS FOR THIS!!!!!!!

Time Online
    35 d 3 h 13 m

Thanks Rafael!

I am a stat farm newbie, and this helps me a lot
    Behemoth
    I like pie

awesome sig thanks to AMBROSIA

Time Online
    26 d 23 h 41 m

1 members found this post helpful.
    About adding the NM raids.... yes, I'll do it.
    They'll be surely worse than normal for stat farming (not only because of the double stamina usage, but also because the probability of getting crafts is significantly lower, except on RB's case), so you should only do it if

a) You want to AP farm at the same time, and you are aware that this is a big hit on stat farming.
    b) You cannot find enough normal raids, so you're forced to hit NM.

(b) happens fairly often, so it's a good point to be added. I'll try to do it later today.

My projects: [Tactics Theorycraft (outdated)| Damage Calculator (not sure if outdated... seems ok)| Officer Comparison (outdated) | Farming Guide (outdated)]

Time Online
    26 d 23 h 41 m

Quote Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
    hopefully this starts more normal raids lol, getting tired of seeing so many nightmare summons for farming raids. Nice guide however
    Yeah I hope so too...
    To be honest, though, my main motivation to create this thread was that I wanted to mathematically justify why I've always thought Void Killers were superior to CC Cruisers.

Turns out Cruisers are better, by a very tiny margin, if you completely don't care about Galaxydome - however, VKs are widely superior otherwise, even if you play as Ranged (who excels in ATK).

So please, everyone who's reading this, don't summon Cruisers anymore If you're into Goal A, summon Carnus, otherwise please summon VKs.

Time Online
    22 d 4 h 4 m

My Platform(s)
    Facebook

Got a VK up now, Raf *cough*

Time Online
    1 d 22 h 40 m

Excellent guide and of great quality, too, as expected of Raf

Time Online
    14 d 1 h 41 m

Excellent guide, Rafael; definitely getting linked to from my alliance's group.

Friend me on Facebook
    Learn about *Audacious*

Time Online
    8 d 1 h 19 m

Thanks excellent guide for farmers..... posted the link in group page for all our members ..... cheers

Time Online
    7 d 14 h 32 m

My Platform(s)
    Facebook

Nice, precise and informative work Rafael. Very much appreciated from a new but avid farmer
    GRAVITY : The Force That Gives Weight To The Masses

Time Online
    2 d 3 h 37 m

I just thought of this, and I saw this once in the forums, but I forgot which thread. But, I think it'll be relevant to this thread. Rafael, will you kindly include the collection items from the different sectors during quests. I mean they drop something like sian tags, and the like. It would be to our advantage to know which arcs to repeat so that it'll complement whatever raid we are hunting for. Don't you think?

Time Online
    26 d 23 h 41 m

Quote Originally Posted by Auron Stormblade View Post
    I just thought of this, and I saw this once in the forums, but I forgot which thread. But, I think it'll be relevant to this thread. Rafael, will you kindly include the collection items from the different sectors during quests. I mean they drop something like sian tags, and the like. It would be to our advantage to know which arcs to repeat so that it'll complement whatever raid we are hunting for. Don't you think?
    Mission loot is like this:

Zone 1: Tags (for defense)
    Zone 2: Cubes (for health - not worth farming)
    Zone 3: Uniform scraps (atk)
    Zone 4: Holo vids (energy)
    Zone 5: Emblems (atk)

Banned
    Time Online
    5 d 22 h 17 m

Just wanted to share... LSI of 7 is blazingly fast(my current LSI)... It also makes you get one lab item in 7/8(epic) out of 4(... So... While my plan WAS indeed pure stamina... But now... I'm lvling way to fast and cause of my online time... end up wasting 500-1k exp with each lvl... So... It's a shame really. DR hits hard. Current TSI is "only" 12. (mostly justified by my lvl and LSI) and for example my screwdriver count is 1700...

It's still awesome build for raiding... But... It's too fast. And not optimal for my way of playing. And current amount of decent raids available for me(I blame achievements ).
    Regards.

Time Online
    35 d 3 h 13 m

Quote Originally Posted by Goran H View Post
    Just wanted to share... LSI of 7 is blazingly fast(my current LSI)... It also makes you get one lab item in 7/8(epic) out of 4(... So... While my plan WAS indeed pure stamina... But now... I'm lvling way to fast and cause of my online time... end up wasting 500-1k exp with each lvl... So... It's a shame really. DR hits hard. Current TSI is "only" 12. (mostly justified by my lvl and LSI) and for example my screwdriver count is 1700...

It's still awesome build for raiding... But... It's too fast. And not optimal for my way of playing. And current amount of decent raids available for me(I blame achievements ).
    Regards.
    If you could go back and change your stats, how much stam would you stop at? I am afraid of getting DR.
    Behemoth
    I like pie

awesome sig thanks to AMBROSIA

Time Online
    26 d 23 h 41 m

Updated, added the NM raids on the lists.... as expected, notice how they're way, way worse than their Normal counterpart. So for farming purposes, it's always good to go for normal raids!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast